  • From: Breda Matthews <bredamatthewsgmail.com>
  • To: ESOL Online <secondaryesollists.tki.org.nz>
  • Subject: [Secondary ESOL] Fwd: ESOL News Update
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 12:22:15 +1200

You are subscribed as bredamatthewsgmail.com | Unsubscribe | View online version

Period 1 Funding

Special Needs Funding

TESSOL Celebration

Spotlight on Schools

ESOL Resources PPT

Useful Links

ESOL Programme News

May 2012

Greetings from our team. In this update we include details about the 2012 Period 1 (Terms 1 & 2) funding payment which was made for 32,487 students in 1,303 schools.

We highlight the ten year anniversary of the TESSOL tuition fees scholarships and the celebration which was held recently at the Auckland University Faculty of Education.

In our 'Spotlight on Schools' article, we look at ways in which ELLs are being successfully supported in schools with very small numbers of ESOL funded students.

>> Email us with your feedback

>> Tell a friend about this newsletter

>> Update your details

2012 Period 1 Funding Allocation

The Period 1 (Terms 1 & 2) funding allocation has been made for 32,487 students in 1,303 schools. These students come from 161 different ethnic groups from 158 countries of birth speaking 116 different languages.

For each two term period the students are funded at the following levels:

 in their first year in subsequent years
 Migrant background students in Years 0-6$356 + GST$267 + GST
 Migrant background students in Years 7 & 8  $489 + GST$267 + GST
 Migrant background students in Years 9-13$622.50 + GST$356 + GST

  in their first two years  in subsequent years
 Refugee background students in Years 0-8   $533.50 + GST$267 + GST
 Refugee background students in Years 9-13$800 + GST$356 + GST

NZ born students with at least one migrant
parent for up to 12 terms in their first four years
     $267 + GST

Numbers of ESOL funded students in schools:

Number of ESOL funded students    Number of schools
 300+      1
 200 - 299      9
 100 - 199      49
 50 - 99     135
 20 - 49     253
 10 - 19     225
 1 - 9     631

Number of ESOL funded students in regions:

Northern (Northland, Auckland):   22,837 (70%)
Central North (Waikato, Central North Island, Hawkes Bay):   2,935 (9%)
Central South (Wellington, Taranaki, Wairarapa):   3,738 (12%)
Southern (All of South Island):   2,977 (9%) The Period 2 funding applications are due on Wednesday 1 August.

Special Needs Funding

Some confusion still exists around access to special education support for English language learners, especially those who are receiving ESOL funding. The official statement about this is:

'Migrant and refugee background students with special education needs, including those who receive ESOL funding, are entitled to special education services available in New Zealand schools. They would need to meet the eligibility criteria for that particular service (e.g. RTLB and RT Lit support, speech language therapy, ORS funding, Supplementary Learning Support). International fee-paying students are not eligible for these services.'

The same applies for ESOL funding. A student who has any kind of special education funding is still eligible for ESOL funding as well, provided they meet the ESOL funding criteria.

TESSOL Scholarship 10 Year Celebration

The Faculty of Education at the University of Auckland held a special event in February to celebrate the ten year anniversary of a unique partnership which provides financial support for teachers wanting to gain further qualifications and improve the outcomes for their English language learners.

The Ministry of Education TESSOL tuition fees scholarship was introduced in 2001. The scholarship provides teachers around the country with funding for study towards a TESSOL qualification. In the Auckland region, this is through funding for teachers to complete the core papers towards a Graduate Diploma of Teaching English in Schools to Speakers of Other Languages (GradDipTESSOL) at the University of Auckland.

 Past and present staff of the Grad Dip TESSOL team with former ESOL team leader Lily Lee

Graduates of the programme came from as far south as Cambridge and as far north as Mahurangi to attend the event. "It was marvellous to see all these wonderful TESSOL teachers reconnecting and sharing their stories," said programme leader Dr Sue Gray.

Associate Professor Graeme Aitken, the University of Auckland Dean of Education, and Ministry of Education Regional Manager Bruce Adin acknowledged the history and significance of the partnership and the important work TESSOL teachers do in Auckland's increasingly multi-cultural schools.  Sonia Johnston, Principal of Roscommon School and a graduate of the programme, acknowledged how the GradDipTESSOL not only helped teachers change their classroom practice but also set them on the path of life long study.

 Graeme Aitken, Sonia Johnston and Bruce Adin

The ESOL team would like to acknowledge the commitment and expertise of Auckland's GradDipTESSOL team, along with the TESSOL providers from Massey, Wintec, Victoria and Canterbury. This very successful partnership between the Ministry of Education and tertiary providers has led to a steadily increasing number of teachers being trained to cater for the learning needs of the growing numbers of English language learners in New Zealand schools.

 Spotlight on Schools Supporting Small Numbers of English Language Learners

As identified in the data from the Period 1 funding payment, half of the schools receiving ESOL funding have fewer than ten ESOL funded students. Schools outside main centres or with a very small number of ELLs may not have ready access to face to face ESOL professional development. Several resources have been developed to assist such schools to provide in-school ESOL PD and support, and these are being used effectively in schools throughout the country.

It is clear from our telephone and postal verifications that very effective support is being provided in many schools with small numbers of ELLs. The great effort made by schools to include families in local communities is particularly evident in rural schools. In this News Update, we focus on two South Island schools with small numbers of funded students and look at what they are doing to assist their ELLs and to upskill staff to support these learners.

 Wanaka Primary School

At Wanaka Primary School there are fewer than ten ESOL funded students. Leanne Little, who coordinates ESOL support in the school, works four days a week as the school's SENCO. Leanne begins liaising and developing a relationship with new families, who may feel isolated and lacking in confidence, at enrolment or soon after. Support for families includes assistance with language difficulties e.g. reading the school newsletter and helping them to join the local town library. Leanne also ensures that classroom teachers of new learners of English know where the ESOL materials are kept and have a chance to select appropriate materials for their student. Resources which teachers of newly arrived ELLs find useful include 'New to New Zealand' books and AUT picture dictionaries.

It was evident from material sent in for a telephone/postal verification and subsequent discussions with staff that the school's monitoring of individual students and targeting of their specific learning needs is outstanding. For each of the ELLs, clear goals were set and recorded, with teaching strategies and required resources specified, and learners were assessed at the beginning and end of the support period. Leanne commented that the BOT's decision to establish and sustain a dedicated SENCO role enables her to coordinate support programmes and provide, together with classroom teachers, in-depth monitoring and tracking.

One aspect of Leanne's role has been her provision of in-school professional development for teacher aide, Glenda Sherriff, using the Working with English Language Learners handbook and DVD. Support provided by Glenda may be one-to-one withdrawal or in-class, this being negotiated with the classroom teacher.

 Glenda working with one of her students to support reading

Glenda reports that using the 'Working with English Language Learners' handbook and DVD has really helped her work with these students. She feels that it has helped her to be more aware and understanding of the child's perspective in aspects of their life other than just school. She has also gained an understanding of the importance of assessing and teaching vocabulary; to never assume that a student knows the name of something, even if it appears that they can speak English well. Glenda also felt that the training around the handbook and DVD was a good way to learn about what ESOL resources are available and how to make use of them.

Depending on their needs, ELLs may also participate in the Reading Recovery, Steps, Numeracy or Literacy Lift programmes and the games/social skills lunchtime club.

John Paul II High School

There are currently seven ESOL funded students and one international fee-paying student attending John Paul II High School in Greymouth. Celia Costelloe, who teaches English and Japanese and is currently Acting Deputy Principal, is the ESOL coordinator. Celia has a Certificate in TESOL and is working on establishing the Greymouth ESOL professional learning community (cluster). She finds ESOL Online helpful and follows the ESOL Online forum. Celia said, 'ESOL teachers in smaller schools can feel isolated, so it is useful to have help and information at our fingertips.'

Celia is the Literacy lead teacher and provides in-school professional development for staff with a focus on ESOL at least four times a year. The Making Language and Learning Work DVDs 1 (Maths and Science) and 2 (English and Social Science) have been given to the relevant departments and are often used at full staff PLD sessions. Teachers have found SELLIPS (Years 7 & 8) and Focus on English resources particularly useful, and the English Language Learning Progressions (ELLP) are used to monitor students' language levels.

 Cooperative learning strategies in mainstream classes help ELLs to consolidate learning

ESOL funding contributes to the employment of a primary trained teacher, who provides support for ELLs as part of her programme. Celia commented that senior students are very aware of their requirements, particularly as they relate to assessment, and that support is very flexible and tailored to students' individual needs. The school also has a strong programme in place for those who need support with reading. There is a close relationship with the main contributing primary school, with students from Years 7 & 8 coming to the high school for science and technology classes.

 Mellissah and Bridgette working together in an NCEA Level 2 mathematics class

Continuing Support for Schools

All schools with ESOL funded students have been sent a number of ESOL resources over the last few years. Some resources, such as the translated Supporting Your Child's Learning booklets, need to be ordered by schools. To check whether you have all of the available resources, please look through the updated version of the ESOL Resources PowerPoint below.

Please contact the ESOL team with any queries around ESOL funding and support:
ESOL Team Contact List

ESOL Resources PowerPoint

The ESOL Resources PowerPoint has been updated. Changes include the addition of links to Focus on English online resources and Down the Back of the Chair item numbers for some resources. A high quality version of the PPT (4 MB) which is suitable for presentations is available on
ESOL Online. Go to Teacher Needs > Reviewed Resources.

A lower quality version (1.5 MB) for viewing online and emailing is available on the ESOL section of the Ministry of Education website. Go to Primary/Secondary > English for Speakers of Other Languages > Materials and Resources.

Useful Links

 >> Ministry of Education - English for Speakers of Other Languages

>> ESOL Resources PowerPoint Presentation

>> Supporting Your Child's Learning Resources

>> ELLP

>> ESOL Online

>> Focus on English online resources

>> Down the Back of the Chair

Best wishes from Susan Gamble, Daniel Haddock, Tjitske Hunter, Abdirizak Abdi, Janis Maidment, Barbara Henricksen, Christina MacKenzie, Richard von Sturmer and Ai Lin Chiong in the Migrant, Refugee and International Education Team.

To unsubscribe from this email list click here | If you have trouble viewing this email follow this link