Teacher support materials
A collaboration with the Centre for Refugee Education, AUT University. Picture dictionary for new learners of English. A teaching resource for using the picture dictionary for new learners of English.This introduces over 1,000 words widely used in the context of everyday life in New Zealand. The resource is useful for English language learners in their early phases. The Picture Dictionary for New Learners of English is available from teacher resource centres and selected bookshops. For further information contact the Ministry of Education.
- Supporting English Language Learning in Primary School: A Resource for Mainstream and ESOL Teachers (SELLIPS): This resource comprises four booklets for different year levels. It gives suggestions for developing students’ academic language in curriculum contexts. SELLIPS is intended for all teachers of students in years 1–8. To order SELLIPs, please contact Customer Services, phone 0800 660 662, fax 0800 660 663. PDFs of the books are available here:
- English Language Intensive Programme (ELIP) Years 7-13 Resource: This resource is designed for teachers and schools working intensively with ESOL students. The resource suggests strategies and teaching points for reading, writing, listening, and speaking, and includes text examples.
- Danger! Teacher Notes for the Choices text: English, Social Studies, Health and PE, Technology
- ESOL Teaching Skills Taskbook: This task book contains a series of lessons that aim to professionally develop teachers while providing teaching and learning resources. It is divided into five units and was produced by teacher trainers at Language International in Auckland.
- Selections 2009 Teachers' Notes