- A Teaching Resource for Using the Picture Dictionary for New Learners of English (446 kB) :This teaching resource introduces over 1,000 words widely used in the context of everyday life in New Zealand. It is available from teacher resource centers and selected bookshops. For further information contact the Ministry of Education.
- ESL:Vocabulary:Lists: Useful links from the Internet TESL Journal.
Nation, I. S. P., ed. (1996). Vocabulary lists
This resource lists vocabulary in terms of its frequency. It includes the first 1,000, second 1,000, third 1,000, and the University word lists developed by Paul Nation.
- Ordering first 1000 and other vocabulary lists
- The Academic Word List: The Academic Word List was developed at the School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies at Victoria University of Wellington. The list contains 570 word families. The list does not include words that are in the most frequent 2000 words of English. The AWL was primarily made so that it could be used by teachers as part of a programme preparing learners for tertiary level study or used by students.
- The Internet Picture Dictionary: Online multilingual picture dictionary designed especially for ESOL students.
- The word frequency lists: Many word lists are here - 500, 1000, 2000, academic lists.
- Selections: This resource is a series of books for ESOL students in years 7–13 with accompanying teachers’ notes (and, for some books in the series, a CD).
Online vocabulary learning tool
- Language Course: Online learning tool, with visual aids, teaching frequently used words.
Published on: 23 Jul 2010