Who are English language learners (ELLs)?
Students come from diverse groups where languages other than English are used at home or in the community. These bilingual and multilingual students represent an increasing proportion of many school populations.
They may include:
- NZ-born students - including Pasifika
- students from migrant backgrounds - including Pasifika
- Students from refugee backgrounds
- Māori and Pasifika students in bilingual education settings or transitioning into English medium schools
- international fee paying students
A guide to terminology used when we talk about ELLs is included in this section.